The Register of Political Parties
Last updated: 13 February 2018 .
When you register a new party, you need to send several documents.
A declaration from 5000 eligible parliamentary election voters, stating that they wish to register this party name. The declaration must contain:
- date of birth
- the date and the signature of each person giving the statement
The articles of association of the party, which among other things must contain
- the name of the party
- which control organ can elect the party’s executive body
Minutes showing the election of the board
- if the members are elected in different meetings, the minutes from all the elections must be attached
Minutes showing the election of the party’s executive organ based on the Political Parties Act
- if the members of the party’s executive organ are elected in different meetings or by different organs, minutes or other types of documentation which shows all the elections must be attached.
- if the party’s board registered in the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities is going to be the party’s executive organ based on the Political Parties Act, this must be stated in a separate attachment.
- if the party’s executive organ is going to have a different composition than the board registered in the Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities, this must be stated in a separate attachment. The attachment must contain name, national identity number and address of the board members and the deputy board members. If the members have different roles, such as chair, board member or deputy board member, this must also be stated.
The main purpose is to give political parties the opportunity to have exclusive rights to a party name. The registration in the Register of Political Parties forms the basis of information about who can represent the party towards the electoral authorities. The fact that a party is registered in the Register of Political Parties will also be of importance when it comes to deciding which rules apply in connection with the party’s polling list and the approval of the ballot.
Arrangements for the election
Questions concerning the arrangement of the election, for instance regarding polling lists, deadlines, information about the support for each party at the election and any other information about the election is available in the Election Portal. The assignment of the Register of Political parties is limited to registering information about the political parties according to current rules and regulations.